The Higatangan Shifting sand bar is a 200 meter white sand located at the Barangay Mabini, Naval, Biliran named after a Katipunan revolutionary hero. This amazing sand bar is said to resemble a giant tongue facing the ocean and the only sandbar in the Biliran Island. The transition of colours from the blindingly white sand to the pristine blue waters is enough to take your breath away. Also the volcanic island of Maripipi and Mount Panamao make a beautiful background for picture perfect moments. During high tide, the tip of the sandbar get submerged underwater, so practice caution when swimming. What makes this place awesome is that depending on the month and the monsoon, its location varies. This off the beaten path is featured in the skyscanner website as one of the top sandbars in the Philippines beating Caramoan and Seco island in Antique.
There are no source of any shade in the sand bar but a short walk away there are stilted huts available for rent. Nearby is the famous Ancestral Limpiado house where it was rumoured that the late President Marcos hid with Mang Dising to evade the Japanese patrollers. A place like this does not also escape fanciful myths, because of its strong current that caused some swimmers to nearly drowned, some people say it was caused by the Ursula sea monsters who inhabited the waters.
The Higatangan in the Biliran Island is not a secluded place although it is a 45-minute ride in an outrigger boat. If you are lucky you might be able to witness playful dolphins along the way. There are accommodations for rent throughout the island if you do not want to sleep in a tent. There are a variety of activities that you can do in the sandbar, be sure to bring along your gears if you like to explore the rich marine life. You can also visit the nearby tourist attractions. Be sure to sample the fresh catch of the fishermen although the choices are not as many like the Canigao island.
Perhaps one of the best uses for the shifting sandbar is as a viewing place for the glorious sunset and the glorious sunrise. It is one of the few places that you witness both, that is why highly recommended to do overnight stay. And from just simply lying in there and seeing the starry skies what more reason do you need to visit this place?
The Higatangan Island is a dating place for the romantics. The shifting sand bar has witnessed a number of proposals of love. With the alternating colors of the sky, the dazzling blue sea and the cool waters who can’t help but fall in love in this place and move you to promise a forevermore with your partner.
To preserve the beauty of the island, please refrain from bringing with you corals and sand as souvenirs and please do not leave any trash lying around.
- Higatangan Rock Formation
- Marcos Lighthouse
- White Sand beaches
What to Bring
- Scuba Diving
- Photo op
Where to Stay
How to Get There in Higatangan Island Shifting Sand Bar
Via Tacloban City – DZR Airport
Major Carriers serve direct Manila-Tacloban flight at least thrice a day. Travel time is 65 minutes. Cebu bound tourists can take the Cebu-Tacloban flight. From Tacloban City, shuttle vans and buses are available in going to Naval, capital of Biliran Province. Travel time is 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Via Cebu City – Mactan International Airport, Mactan Cebu
Nearest international airport. From Cebu city fast crafts are available to Ormoc City. Travel time is 3 hours. From there you can take shuttle vans directly to Naval. Travel time 1.5 hour.
From Naval Town Proper
1. Hire a private boat to take you directly to Higatangan Island.
2. Go the local way; catch a ride at one of the ferry boats going to the Higatangan Island. Travel time is roughly 45 minutes. There are two pump boats going to Higatangan-Naval-Higatagan in the same schedule. They travel daily, they leave Naval port at 12 Noon and travel back at 7:30 in the morning. At sunday there is only one pump boat. Do overnight stay if you go the local way.
Budget Travel Guide
- For a capacity of 15 persons or more, it will cost Php 5,000 roundtrip Naval-Higatangan-Naval. For a small group of people up to 7 passengers Php 3,000 roundtrip. Prices negotiable.
- Regular face is Php 50 per passenger and discounted fare is Php 45 per passenger to the students/ senior citizens.
- You should not travel after 5 pm especially when the weather is not good.
- Purchased your supplies needed for the trip. There is sari-sari store in the island.
- Bring SPF protection and make sure your camera battery is full
- Bring enough cash. No credit card/ atm in the island.
- You can buy fresh fish from the day’s catch. But be sure to bring food in case you don’t like fish
- Bring your own tent if you like to go camping
- Bring your own swimming gear
We Want to Hear From You!
Your feedback is important to us! Write a review for your visit in Higatangan Island Shifting Sand Bar and help other travelers.