- About 1 hour and 30 minutes boat ride from Naval, 45 mins boat ride from Kawayan Port,20 mins boat ride from Ol-og, Maripipi Island
- a marine sanctuary and a popular dive site
- How to get to Sambawan Island, Maripipi/Sambawan Island
Sambawan Island is Biliran’s answer to paradise. White sands, thriving marine life and warm blue waters lapping up the tree-lined shore is a must for those wanting escape from reality. Maria Benita, our good fairy must have worked wonders in this place.
Sambawan Island is located 5km of the west coast of Maripipi Municipality, south of the Samar sea, is fast becoming the most visited attraction by the tourists. The semi- curved beach with soaring rock formations covered with green grass as a backdrop create a bubble of fantasy that you are entering another dimension.
Sambawan Island, Maripipi has a stark, mountainous coastline and a spectacular sunrise, a stunningly beautiful view, which will surely melt your heart.
Viewed from a distance, Sambawan island with its towering rocks; is a series of interconnecting stony islets. It has two main islands and the rocky terrain is covered with grass. Along the shore lines, Talisay trees are being planted.
Sambawan island is a marine sanctuary and a popular dive site. It has an extensive wealth of marine life, good visibility and corals that are in good condition. Turtles, sea snakes and reef sharks are also found there often. Current is mild and suitable for all range of divers.
A watch tower is built at the highest point to give the tourists unencumbered view of the entire island. It serves as viewdeck to witness the spectacular sunrise and the glorious sunset. Both,which can surely melt your heart.
Commercialism is slowly creeping in this previously unspoilt island. Cottages, bathroom facilities, room, diving gears and beachfront camping are now available for a fee.
|Entrance Fee||P 80+20 environmental fee|
|Cottage 1 Beach hut, sitting for 8pax||Php 500.00/day|
|Cottage 2 Lodging cottage for 12 – 15 pax||Php 2,500.00/day (3 beds, With T&B, Electric, Beddings, 200 l. Fresh Water Etc.)|
|Cottage 3 Lodging cottage for 2 – 6 pax||Php 1,500.00/day (2 beds, With T&B, Electric, Beddings, 100 l. Fresh Water Etc.)|
|Big Cottage||Php 1,000/day|
|Tent pitching fee||P 100/day (small tent)|
|Scuba Rental||P 2,500|
|Bench & Table||P 300|
What to Bring
- Camping equipment
- Power bank
- Scuba Diving
- Photo pp
How to Get There in Sambawan Island
- Book a flight to Tacloban
- From Tacloban ride Van-vans, Duptors, Grandtours to Naval
- Then take the only passenger boat to Maripipi Is (it leaves 10am)
- From Maripipi Is. Ride Habal habal to Brgy. Ol-og
- Then rent a boat to Sambawan Island
Alternate route is Ride jeep, bus or Habal habal to Kawayan and hire boat directly to Sambawan but this route is expensive because the boat costs Php 3,000* to Php 3,500*.
- Van to Naval Php130
- Passenger Boat to Maripipi Is. Php 60
- Naval Port Terminal fee Php10
- Habal to Brgy. Ol-og Php100 / 2pax
- Boat to Sambawan Php 500 / 5pax
Sidetrip (Habal-Habal Php 500 to Php 900)
- Ulan-ulan Falls, Recoletos and Tinago Falls
From Naval Town Proper
* Prices subject to change without prior notice
- Hire a private boat for roundtrip to Sambawan Island, Maripipi, Biliran from Naval Port (Naval is the capital town of Biliran Province). Boat rental is Php 10,000* for 10-15 pax, Php 12,000* to 14,000 for 30-60pax
- Go the local way; catch a ride at one of the ferry boats going to the Maripipi Island via Naval Port, fare per head is Php 60. Travel time is 1.5 hours. Once you reached the town of Maripipi, hire a habal-habal, fare is Php 30 per head to Brgy. Ol-og. From there hire a boat for Php 600. Travel time to Sambawan is 15 minutes. [The ferry departs at 10:30 Am from Mon- Sat and leaves the following day for Naval at 4:30 Am
- Ride a habal-habal to Kawayan Municipality Php 60 per head. Rent a boat at Php 3,000 Php (3,500 Overnight) and travel to Sambawan. Travel time is 60 minutes. Boat Capacity maximum of 10 persons.
- Purchased your supplies needed for the trip. There is a convenience store in the island that sells basic needs, drinks and snacks.
- More convenient to travel in groups if travelling via Kawayan in order to save money.
- If you are going the local way, you need to do overnight stay either at Sambawan or at Maripipi.
- You should not travel after 5 pm especially when the weather is not good.
- Electricity is from sundown up to sunrise; cottages with fresh water shower & toilet amenities.
- Bring your own food, drinks & other provisions.
Sambawan is really a good beach with clear water which is very inviting for a swim. We have been there for overnight on May 5, 2015. In this webpage, it says it charges P50 entrance fee but we were charge with P100 per head. Our boat was also charged with P125 docking fee. For water (...)
The Sorry State of My Home Island
I always say that I do not need the eyes of a tourist to see the beauty of my home island. It's just so beautiful to get used to. Now it's in an almost sorry state.
Indeed beauty is expensive, but who will dare go if one has to break a bank to get to (...)
We Want to Hear From You!
Your feedback is important to us! Write a review for your visit in Sambawan Island and help other travelers.